Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Requied Reading notes: Week2

1,A Framework for Building Open Digital Libraries
This essay mainly talked about the OAI Protocal for metadata harvesting and took the NDLTD program for instance. It is not difficult for me to understand the content after classes. OAI protocol is really important of the building of digital libraries like TCP/IP to the Internet. I do not know much about the content of OAI. But standards and policies are vital to all fields, especially information technology. One of purposes of IT is to access and communicate.

2,An Architecture for Information in Digital Libraries
It talks about the architecture of digital libraries in details, which is very useful to me. The author explains many concepts like handle, medadata, meta-object. I finally figure out the differences between handle and URL. Handles identify Internet resources by name and URL identifies resources by location. I feel that each component of digital library is perfect there; missing any component will result in the failure of digital libraries.
The author said that " use a lower level design will allow a greater selection of languages and interface tool." why will it happen? why they are languages and interface tool? Could it be something else? I do not understand the cause and effect here.

3,interoperability for Digital Objects and Repositories
Frankly speaking, I do not understand the content totally. Up to now, I have read lots of architectures about digital libraries, I think I am confused and cannot tell the differences. The mos impressive architecture table is drew by William Y. Arms, who is the most famous scholar in the field of digital libraries. Every digital library have its architecture, do we have paradigms to follow?

4,An Overview of World Wide Web
Basic knowledge about world wide web. very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment